Recovering from technical bankruptcy - ensemble style
One year ago I started working on a product that was suffering from overwhelming technical debt. Users were not happy, the product was buggy and slow, the team behind the product wasn’t happy, code was not pushed to production out of fear of introducing more bugs, new features could not be developed, so management was not thrilled, in short, the product could be described as being technically bankcrupt.
I believe it is possible to recover from this situation, and I’ve been working together with the team on finding ways to do that.
I’d like to share some of the learnings we’ve made the past year, specifically how valuable it is to do actual work as a group.